Despite its modest size, the scarf of today’s post is quite a big milestone, as it is the first knitted item I completed for myself in many many years. As far as I remember, the last time I actually wore a garment I knitted myself was in secondary school when I made a couple of grungy sweaters using the thickest needles I could find. This time I set out to make an elegant scarf to wear with my long black winter coat. All my other scarves are too bulky or too bright-coloured to match a 1940s princess coat, so I figured that a scarf pattern from the same time period would be the solution.
As so many times before, I initially set out to knit something else, in this case the Angora Leaf Scarf by Lise-Lotte Lystrup. Soon it turned out that I did not have enough yarn, so I picked this smaller scarf that is somewhat similar in design. The pattern is from a Swedish knitting magazine entitled Stickat från topp till tå, which was published in 1948. I am not sure if this magazine was just a one off or published regularly like Stickat and Femina Stickbok. As the title implies it contains patterns for a wide range of items, as well as for all age groups. The designs are less glamorous than what I have seen in Stickat but very functional.
This was my first time knitting in the seed stich, which was surprisingly simple. I felt a bit silly when I realized that it requires nothing fancy, just single knits and purls. I still have a lot to learn about knitting! Anyway, I really like the texture it creates and would like to knit a matching hat or beret using the same stich.
The yarn I picked up at Myrorna (a charity shop) not too long ago as part of a larger batch of similar fluffy yarn. This was the only skein in this particular colour, all others are a lighter shade of green. None of the labels were left, so its exact contents are a mystery. It feels quite pleasant, though, and judging by the scarf’s smell after washing, it contains at least a certain amount of wool. It was quite a big skein and I ended up using almost all of it.
I started knitting the scarf shortly before Christmas. As I used 4mm needles, progress was fast. The first “leaf”, however, became much longer than what it looked like on the photograph in the magazine, so I think that there might be a mistake in the pattern. After the holidays I reknitted most of the first leaf, using the frequency of decreases that I thought fitted best. While it is not the most spectacular scarf, I am quite pleased with the result and think I will get a lot of use out of it.
One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to complete five ongoing projects before starting a new one and this is #2/5.
Mystery yarn: thrift store